Choose Language:
  • Students

    Students – I want to study in Ireland


    A fee of €300 is charged in relation to each immigration certificate of registration supplied to a non-EEA national coming into force with effect from 19 November 2012.

    This applies to non-EEA students.

    The student guideline documents were issued in 2011 and will be updated shortly.

    Since 1 January 2011 a ‘New Immigration Regime for Full Time Non-EEA students has been introduced. This sets out new rules regarding studying in Ireland for non-EEA students.

    International students are welcome in Ireland to follow a course of studies. In general long term non-EEA students who come to Ireland or who wish to come to Ireland do so to follow courses which are Language Courses, Further Education Courses or Degree Programme courses. There are other types of student such as short term language students and information for those students can be found via the ‘Other Types of Student link below.

    To help students in understanding the rules regarding the different group of student the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) has developed guidelines for students.

    This section of the INIS website, by way of these guidelines, explains the conditions for being in Ireland as a non-EEA student. In that regard the conditions of study you choose will depend on the level of the course that you want to study.

    The guideline notes on this page give detailed information on the different level of study, and will help you to choose the correct route for you.

    For students registered in Ireland since before 1 January 2011, guideline notes are also available in order to explain what the ‘New Immigration Regime for Full Time Non-EEA Students’ means to you.

    Please select a topic from the table below for more detailed information.

    I want to study a degree programme course I want to study a language or non-degree course
    Other Types of Students I am a student who has been in Ireland since before 1st January 2011
    Student Pathway Internationalisation Register of Courses


    Students – Guidelines for Colleges

    Whilst the above guidelines set out the rules for an individual student INIS has also put in place guidelines for colleges who are offering courses to full time non – EEA students.

    Colleges are required to abide by the rules set out in these guidelines. Colleges should also be familiar with the rules set out for individual students.  Students should also familiarise themselves with guidelines for colleges

    Guidelines for Colleges (Size 1565KB)

    Additional links

    For details on the various topics available in this section, please select from the links below