Choose Language:
  • Irish Immigration

    Irish Immigration System. Main points:
    The principal legislation regulating the entry and residence of non-nationals in the State is the Aliens Act, 1935 and the Aliens Order 1946, as amended, together with the regulations putting into force the EU Rights of Residence Directives. In addition, the Immigration Act, 1999 sets out the principles and procedures which govern the removal of non-nationals from the State. This legislative framework provides that all non-EEA nationals need the permission of the Minister for Justice and Equality to in the State.
    Certain non-EEA nationals need a visa before entering the State and it is the function of the Department of Foreign Affairs to process visa applications through its different Embassies and other consular posts abroad. In view of the responsibility of the Minister for Justice and Law Reform for immigration matters generally, the overall policy boundaries in relation to visa matters are, however, set by him. Embassies have been given authorised permission to decide on certain types of applications but others are passed on to the Department of Justice and Equality for a decision.
    All non-EEA nationals, whether they need a visa or not, are subject to Immigration controls upon arrival in the State. These controls are applied on an occasional basis on persons arriving from within the Common Travel Area between Ireland and the UK and routinely on persons arriving from outside the Common Travel Area. Generally speaking, a person can be granted up to 90 days permission to remain as a visitor upon arrival, provided they can satisfy an Immigration Officer that they have enough funds to support themselves, that they have a valid visa, if one is required, and that they will not break Irish immigration law or other laws.
    Non-EEA nationals looking for permission to enter in order to take up employment will usually need a Work Permit. Work Permit applications are dealt with by the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Innovation and not having a permit if wanting to take up employment is reason for entry not being allowed.
    Persons who wish to stay in the State for longer than 90 days must sign up with their local Garda Registration Officer and apply for additional permission to stay before their initial permission to enter comes to an end. . The main reasons by which further permission to stay can be got are: for the reasons of employment, to study, to run a business or as a dependant family member of an Irish or EEA national living in the State. Certain other groups of people are also given permission to stay,including persons given compassionate reason to stay by the Minister. Certain specifications must be met , in order to obtain permission to stay in any of the above mentioned groups and, in the case of nationals needing a visa, further permission to stay will usually not be extended to persons who entered on visas in the short visit group.
    For more information please visit INIS,
    13-14 Burgh Quay,
    Dublin 2 or
    an official site of Department of Justice in Ireland